Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Happy HELLidays!

I don't dislike the holidays. In fact I QUITE LIKE THE HOLIDAYS! Whoops, my caps lock went haywire! (This is all live, you never know what's going to happen!) But back to my rant ... Yeh- I have no animosity towards the holidays, I just gave my blog that title to titillate you- the faithful reader. Literally you are the one and only reader. I thought it would be fun to kick off this blogapalooza with a holiday theme. One of my favorite Christmas memories was a few nights ago (about 17 dog nights). My GF, who shall not be named, sang all of the old anti-Barney carols that proliferated during our early elemntary days. You know the ones: "I hate you, you hate me, let's get together and kill Barney." This meditation allowed me to think about the unjust villification of gangsta rap. Heck, IT'S STRAIGHT UP RACIST! That was not an accident. I. Am. Angry. I feel so angry that I write like E.E. Cummings. I'm angry like Sean Penn in the movie when he's yelling in the megaphone saying, "I know you're angry... I'M ANGRY!!!!!" I'm sassy angry. But yes- the war on gangsta rap is straight up hypocritical. How can you condemn pimps'n'hos and guns'n'butter when such hate speech is allowed on the first grade level. The thing about gansta rap is it never addresses the audience in the 2nd person. Directly saying, "I hate you" can be very damaging for a fragile child's self-worth. I have never heard any gangsta rapper address the listener with such disdain. So yeh, sorry to get on a soapbox here, but my feet is dirtay!

that's all right now, god is love, xo xo

No comments:

Post a Comment